This is an update about implementing Legislative changes to the Pre-Admission Screening (PAS) process. Through training sessions and business process meetings held around the state, many know that during the 2013 legislative session, changes were made to the Long Term Care Consultation statute (Minnesota Statute, Section 256B.0911) and the Minnesota Board on Aging statute (Minnesota Statute, Section 256.975). These changes redesigned the federally mandated Pre-Admission Screening (PAS) process.
This message serves to alert you to changes to Pre-Admission Screening (PAS redesign) that went into effect November 1, 2013.
This is how the implementation will proceed:
- Beginning November 1, 2013 at 12:01am all referrals for Pre-Admission Screening should be made online at www.mnaging.org.
- The counties will no longer be accepting Pre-Admission Screening referrals.
- Pre-Admission Screenings will be conducted and/or triaged to the appropriate lead agency by the Senior LinkAge Line® and the exemption for individuals admitted to a nursing facility for less than 30 days will no longer be in place.
- Over the next week, Counties will be contacted by the Senior LinkAge Line®/Area Agency on Aging, if they have not already been contacted, to determine protocols and provide information regarding sending PAS requests that need additional assessment. Managed Care organizations should use their contacts at DHS for questions.
- Nursing facilities will be contacted by Senior LinkAge Line® specialists to discuss processes for providing PAS results in a timely manner.
- We thank you for your patience during the first week or so as this new process is implemented.